Monday, June 13, 2005

The Rebellion Begins...

One thing I can say is that I never really struggled with open rebellion against my parents. Sure, I get just as annoyed with how little they seemed to know when I was in junior high, or how overprotective they insisted on being as everyone else, but I don't really like to get in trouble. I have never had detention in my life, not that I say that with pride... I was the kid that always did what they were told and never questioned authority becuase I simply hated the feeling I got when I was yelled at. The interesting thing is that now that I am out of the house and there is not the risk of me actually ever getting yelled at again, risky behavior seems more appealing. Then again, risky behavior by my definition is getting my belly button peirced. That's right, my roomate and I decided "CARPE DIEM and happy birthday to us!" We do what we want. We were so intent on achieving rebellion, we talked to our parents and then proceeded to risk our lives to pierce our navals. "Who cares what people think? Who cares what they say about us? ....those bad rebellious girls...
At 16 I was told I would be cut off financially if I got my belly button pierced like my best friend... at about 19, they laugh, shake their heads, and then scowl behind your back.
WOW. hahahaha.

Yesterday evening it was storming terribbly [uh, actually quite sick of this rainy summer crap] . It wasn't just storming though, it was a good old State-encompassing-Oklahoma-world-ending-nature-temper-tantrum. Maybe God was punishing us for driving to Tulsa to be rebellious on a Sunday...

The peircing place was surprisingly but thankfully sterile, but still managed to disturb me with the freakish artwork of naked people with chains attached to their peircings then making them into marienettes. The employees were very serious about their line of work and very nice, which was somewhat was comforting. Although, there was a man who could have out his Skol ring in his earlobes and hold his tocacco there, that was just crazy.

Dacia and I and our moral support were then led into the room with our freshly sterilized hardware and took turns being harpooned. It really was not as horrble as I expected, but definitely not as quick and I would have preferred. Dacia alomost passed out, I made it through just fine. We took pictures. hehe.
So I now have a small pink rhinestone resting atop my belly button as proof of my rebellious bonding experience with my roomate. What else is college for?

So I wonder if I have now gotten my rebellion out of my system... if not, I think next it will be a hilarious feat ending in jail, because don't you know... we have a habit of that... stupid ducks.

3 comments:

Doug said...

I do what I want!

Carin said...

YAY! next thing you know you'll be crazy like me......muhhahaha!


calapia,calopio? either way ... you know.

Liz said...

Doug... been trying to think about what you said about purpose. Don't know if this will provide anything, but its a shot.

Lately I've been feeling "frustrated, irritated, disconnected from it all."
Everyday I felt down and completely unable to see through the fog. I could not figure out how to fight complacency and mediocre living. I felt that my day to day living was inevitably mundane and, to use your word, banal. Yet I was supposed to be content, with that? I dread a banal existance. However, recently I woke up, stopped feeling sorry for myself and realized it wasn't about me.
I am not sure if you can empathize but when you asked me those questions last night I thought maybe I could at least share this:

Do not worry about tomorrow, today has enough problems of its own. Seek to glorify God in every little moment and every seemingly menial task, you are bound to live a purposeful and productive life full of joy. [paraphrased]
Cliche' ... possibly, but can you really call the Bible cliche? I am certain it's got the idea behind life. Anyway, I have been a bit depressed and you seemed particularly down yourself... chin up friend, I am still learning to not wish my life away by thinking to a time when I will be happier and more purposeful. I am learning to live now.
"Forever is composed of nows."
-- Emily Dickinson