Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Degrees of Separation

I have heard of the 5 or 6 degrees of separation between everyone, but you don't really think about it until you meet someone randomly connected to you somehow. Then there is this job of mine. I have found that while I address thousands upon thousands of envelopes of free samples, I begin to notice things. For instance, certain people obviously discovered our website and then called everyone they were related to so that they could sign up as well. However, it does not end there... :) Then those extended families tell all thier friends in their towns who then tell all of their extended family ... and voila, everyone on this database of mine is strangely connected to each other and thier life paths have crossed, but crossed as briefly as when our paths cross with those with whom we share the interstate. It also strikes me that either I or my own family memebers have lived in many of these towns, and I wonder if I am connected to these people more directly than I realize... or am I just soo unbelievably bored at work that I think up these completely random and ridiculous ideas purely for my own entertainment? hmmm. haha. Oh well, either way, it intrigues me for sure.

1 comment:

Carin said...

LIZZIE! I have not joined the witness protection program. I really havent. I miss you terribly and I need your advice so badly... but Im afraid you might already be asleep. I cant wait til next year, when if I need you, I can just sit on your bed and wake you up and get you to help me sort life out.